In 2008 ELEY celebrated 180 years of manufacturing high quality ammunition. The British company was established in 1828 by William and Charles Eley and has a long and proud tradition in the manufacture of rimfire ammunition. Specializing in .22 calibre cartridges, Eley is widely regarded as the world leader with its flagship product TENEX, sold in more than 130 countries. The name C Eley first claimed public attention through an advertisement in the London Morning Chronicle of 10 July 1828, the advert promotes the opening of an extensive manufactory who can supply patent cartridges, superior to anything else and hailed as the greatest improvements ever produced in gunnery. Later evidence suggests that the proprietors were two brothers, William and Charles Eley who were adventurous and courageous in developing this infant industry. William Eley had three sons who inherited the business from him in 1842. They vigorously developed the business in the second half of the nineteenth century, which included a major expansion in 1874 through the sale of shares to the public. During this period ELEY won many awards for the quality of its products throughout the world, the most prestigious being the Grand Prix which was bestowed on the company at the Paris Exhibitions of 1898 and 1900. The early 1900s saw a major development when ELEY became one of the founding members of Nobel Industries alongside the world renowned Kynoch Company. In 1928 the business moved to the Witton site in Birmingham as a subsidiary of what is now Imperial Metal Industries plc, a major publicly quoted multinational engineering conglomerate. Major ammunition developments that have come from ELEY include a joint patent with Samuel Colt for Colt revolver cartridges, in 1855; Britain's first centerfire cartridge, produced in 1857; fundamental patents during the 1860s in the development of the Boxer primer system; development of the first bottleneck rifle cartridges, in 1869; and thin-brass totally waterproof shotshell cartridges, in 1882. During the American Civil War, ELEY was a major supplier of ammunition to the Confederacy. Its first .22 rimfire cartridges were produced in 1860, but the move toward ELEY present world rimfire prominence really didn't begin until 1951 with the introduction of the first generation of Tenex. ELEY’s goal behind the initial Tenex development was to provide British-made .22 LR ammunition, built to extreme consistency, that British shooters could use to win British shooting competitions. The 1951 British Championship and the Grand Aggregate events at Bisley were won by ELEY team shooters using Tenex. A key aspect of the company's technological lead is the ELEY Autoprime System which was developed by the company in the early 1980s and remains to this day the only fully automated dry priming system in the world. Such investment in technology inevitably reflects in high levels of product and systems quality, features which are acknowledged by virtue of the company's accreditation to the ISO 9002 European standard. In 2000/2001 ELEY’s considerable investment in the new and revolutionary Tenex Ultimate EPS and Match EPS ranges, took target shooting to a new level. In May of 2003 ELEY completed a huge investment in a historically significant relocation of ELEY to a purpose built factory a few miles from Witton - not only does this demonstrate ELEY’s long term commitment as the world's leading supplier of quality cartridges, more particularly it provided the modern facilities vital for future product research and development - all needed to remain the best in our field.
The following picture will explain the labeling process for the Tenex, Match, and Team lines of ammunition.